or how to become a Praha filmmaker in 3 easy years...

Monday, November 17, 2008

Election Night 2008-Prague, Czech Republic

My humblest apologies for keeping you waiting on election news from Prague. It happened to coincide with “Lena’s mid-terms 2008” though this was less reported by international news stations.

Honestly, I wish I had a better story for you but the news of the night trumps any entertainment I might procure. Where was I when I found out Barack Obama would be our next president?

K and I invited some friends to join us in a promising night of revelry. So it was that there were two Americans, two Australians, and a Czech girl sitting in a smoky and crowded bar in Prague at 3:30 am drinking bad wine. We had been sitting for around 5 hours and every little CNN announcement was accepted with an overabundance of joy. “We got Maine!” we whooped. It was either whoop or pass out and bring on the expected bad wine hangover.

The smoky bar was outfitted with seven tv screens all projecting CNN. The audience was not as uniform. People from all over Europe were gathered together in expectant celebration. And celebrate we did.

The night included, 150 people, 5 rounds of drinks, 4 separate attempts to explain the electoral college, 3 disgruntled and HUGELY outnumbered McCain supporters, 1 interview by K live on Czech TV and 2 happy American girls leaving the bar at 5 a.m. trying to sing The Star Spangled Banner on the tram.

Post-election feels like I have a new boyfriend. You know how people come up to you with that knowing smile and sort of singsong greeting. “hey-le-na. How’s-it-go-ing? How was your evening?” And my face inadvertently lights up. “Oh, that. Yeah, things are great. Maybe some hard times ahead but I’m so excited!” Everyone wanted to celebrate and everyone had questions about my new beaux. “I hear it is very important what kind of dog they get?” “Will he stop the war?” “Are you so happy”
and my favorite…“I don’t know, Is he really that great?” to which I now respond by breaking out into song…

Nothing you can say can tear me away from OBAMA chorus OBAMA
Nothing you can do, cause I’m stuck like glue on OBAMA chorus OBAMA
I checked Barack on my mail-in ballot, sent it in said-‘McCain can’t have it!’
You best be believing, he’s the ‘change we’ll be needin’-OBAMA.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

You are tooo funny. I am going to get in trouble at work because I keep laughing and surely nothing I do here is funny-this my boss knows!