or how to become a Praha filmmaker in 3 easy years...

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Prague Pirates

Bags heavy over my shoulders, I crawl up a narrow circular staircase made out of rustic wooden branches. I drop my duffles into a tiny room with two single beds tucked in. The entire room is reminiscent of the tree house from The Swiss Family Robinson…it is the tree house from The Swiss Family Robinson! I walk around the “apartment” which is literally built into a tree. There is a surprising amount of space considering the small room the twin beds inhabit. A dining room table with chairs made out of palm, a balcony, a living room with bamboo furniture…

Deciding to take myself on a tour of the school, I end up walking down a lot of hotel-like corridors before finding a beige heavy door. I open it and walk through to the side deck of a ship. The entire school is a huge tall ship cruising down a gigantic river. The ship floats by lush green hillsides on the banks. Ancient Mongolians(?) dressed in neon clothing charge horses carrying large neon colored banners over the hillside. They are small in the distance but their calls can be heard on the ship. The river is filled with thousands of water transportation of all kinds. Wooden carved canoes paddle through making way for modern speedboats. Tall ships call to little catamarans. Rafts try and avoid the wake caused by 200 men strong Egyptian slave boats. The river is literally packed with these ships that dance up and down the water trying to avoid catastrophe. I look on amazed. There is someone dressed like a pirate/sailor standing in front of me with a small telescope. He turns, sees me, and smiles, his long hair blowing behind him into the wind. “Welcome to FAMU!” he calls cheerily, his voice carried to me through the chilly sea air.

Clearly, this was a dream. I had this one a few days before leaving for Prague. Doesn’t take Freud to interpret this one.
My Subconscious: What the #?*@! Have you gotten us into?!
Me: Umm, we’ll see when we get there? (shrug with cutest smile)
My Subconscious: Yeah, is that how we’re gonna play this? Here’s what I got for ya’ in the meantime. Work through this one!

My subconscious is right. I have no idea REALLY what it’s going to be like. What the program is like. Who I'm going to be studying with? Where I am going to live. I could very well be on a tall pirate ship floating down a river in Mongolia…well, maybe not. But there are certainly a lot of words that need to be filled into my Czech mad-lib.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I thought you were blogging-in-mushrooms for a second there. Then I became convinced that your school was actually in a ship-shaped builing and starting wondering why you hadn't already known that. I am sure by now you've found that whatever you've gotten yourself into is actually quite awesome. But I do miss you!

PS, can you add the feature that lets me comment and put my URL? Right now I'm logged in with my google/blogger account, which doesn't let me link to my real blog.

Ben said...

Your corner of the world looks amazing. Send more pics. First blog entry was great, 9 out of 10. We miss you and can't wait for more stories to filter in. I like the blog title, although I was expecting more puns...and I had to look up zoetrope. It probably has more staying power than "Czech it out!"

-Ben and Ash

aee said...

Wow Lena, I was visualizing that your hostel had funky treehouse decor and the school had huge murals with those images painted on it. I thought, "Wow, film school is pretty freaky, I had no idea." Thank goodness that it was only a dream! Your neighborhood is gorgeous, though--good work!! Not quite as nice as my neighborhood in Chicago... no wait, you win. Though I have a community art school and community music school in walking distance, the beach is a mile down the road and it's too cold now :(

xoxo Mandar