or how to become a Praha filmmaker in 3 easy years...

Friday, October 24, 2008

Slaboo-ey

“We have sort of a special surprise for you today.” Michal says by way of good morning to Ivan and I. My neck now tenses in expectation similar to Pavlov’s drooling dogs. There have been a few surprises since starting. Apparently by order of the FAMU dean we are to be officially matriculated into AMU... right now. (AMU is the larger school of the arts) My first thought is “Does this include paperwork?” Michal hands us a piece of paper with a typed translation of more or less what the ceremony will be in English. “Wait, ceremony?” On the back he draws directions to the venue.

Ten minutes later we get off the tram in Mala Strana and walk over neat cobblestones up to an intimidating Renaissance manse. In the courtyard are around thirty Czech peers dressed to impress. Clearly they were given a bit more notice of matriculation than we were and Ivan and I look down discomfited by our jeans. (Mine were a new pair of wide-flairs that I was testing the waters with assuming, stupidly, there would be no ceremony involved in my day) From the second floor balcony overlooking the courtyard we see a friendly face of the school registrar and find our way through the maze of marble steps and arches to the procession hall he is in. He and Zeneta show us our place amongst the velvet chairs before explaining the situation.

Apparently it is an old AMU tradition to be ceremoniously “matriculated” and formally accepted into the AMU family. But what does this mean? Well, when you hear your name you must stand up, walk to the stage, hold out your middle and index finger on the the zezlo and say Slaboo-ey. “What’s a zezlo??” I ask. Zeneta looks at Ivan, the more experienced Slavic-English speaker. Ivan looks at Zeneta. “A zezlo is a zezlo. I don’t know. It’s just a zezlo” Zeneta says we will see what a zezlo is but I must put my two fingers on it and say Slaboo-ey. “Sla-BOO-ey?” “Sla-boo-EY” “What does that mean???” “uh, it means like ‘I promise’” Ivan and I look at each other confused. “What are we promising??” Ivan asks. “uhh, you are promising to do well in your classes and some things like this.” “oh. okay.”

We stand as the deans enter in robes passed down from the medieval art school deans of the past. They walk onto the stage and the rector makes a short little speech. I don’t know what he says but it is pretty funny in the gigantic cap that ornaments his head. After a short speech by a selected student, which I am assuming more accurately details what exactly we are promising, the FAMU Dean starts saying names and students proceed one by one. I am dead last but still tense when I walk up on stage. So after appropriate dramatic tension-what did I put my 2 fingers on? The best English translation for zezlo would be a scepter. This guy that could only be described as the rector’s page holds out the elaborate scepter that has AMU printed on it. And I said Slaboo-ey. And I shook the rector’s hand. And I still don’t really understand what I have promised but I guess I am officially part of a new medieval AMU family.

2 comments:

Little Yellow House said...

kazuntite!

And scepters? when do you ever get to use those anymore? I mean, mine just gathers dust in the garage. Film needs more scepters...who can argue with a scepter? Clever Czechs! Love the stories and pictures. You're the best story teller we know!
Love,
Cora & Lucy

Leaving No Plastic Behind said...

Say Hi to Harry Potter for me!

Your life still sounds like that weird dream you had about living in the Swiss Family Robinson House.

We miss you in pdx, Lena pants!